Friday, December 22, 2006
Am I *that* liberal?
So all this pissed-offedness about the Minnesota Representative-elect and his intent to use the Koran for his swearing in rather than a Bible? First of all, the entire POINT of swearing on a book is that the person doing the swearing BELIEVES in that book. It's not so that everyone ELSE feels better about it. We should have people swear on a copy of Merriam-Webster in court rather than a Bible, then. I would be good with that.

To bring up another point, why should a person have to swear on a holy book in the first place? Why not a copy of the Constitution, or the Declaration of Independence, or even the Bill of Rights? Keith Ellison is Muslim. He was fairly elected by the people in his district - he's not there because of some teenage prank or a machine malfunction. His constituents KNOW he's Muslim. Why should it matter to anyone else? Gah.

The local mullet wrapper actually has a poll up about whether there should be a LAW stating the Bible is the only book to be used for swearing in. The HELL?! In my personal and apparently far-left-wing opinion, the man should be able to take his oath of office on a vintage copy of Playboy if he so chooses. Whatever he believes in.

Labels:

posted by Jen @ 4:40 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Swearing in with Playboy would be a nice choice. The ceremony could go something like, "With my hand on the centerfold's breast, I swear to uphold the laws of office or I will lose my left hand." Or whichever hand he favors for "whistling".

    Do Jews swear on a Bible when they take office or do they get a choice of using the Torah?

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    I'm having flashbacks to an Animaniacs episode to where Wakko was playing bailiff.

    "Do you swear?"
    "Yes."
    "Oh, you shouldn't...it's not nice."

    I'm with you on this one. For those of us who aren't religious, swearing on a Bible does not make our testimony any less true.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Dawn Contemplates Life said…

    I think the Constitution is far more appropriate when swearing in to office. Personally when and if I have to testify in court I'm flat out refusing to swear in on the Bible. It's not my book. Therefore my using it as a basis for why I am being truthful is of itself a lie. I swear to tell the truth because I believe I should.

    Sheesh!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!