Saturday, October 21, 2006
A busy, busy day
Here's how I spent my Friday.

Get up, showered, and fed. Same for Cam. We get Cam to day care and make it to Pete Moore by 8:15. We get a crap salesman (Nash something...Baker?) and go test drive a yellow 2007 Aveo, standard. It was ok, but the clutch was much looser than I'm used to. I got used to it and no longer made a fool of myself about 3/4 of the way through the test drive. I was going to get that one, until Nash mentioned that they had an '06 automatic marked down less than the one I just drove. It, however, was red. No big thing, I can deal with red for less money. So I have a red '06 Aveo hatchback (5 door). I'll take pics tomorrow if it doesn't rain. :)

We didn't leave the dealership until just after NOON. Meh. I go home, get my game clothes, and haul booty up to school for the last half of an all-day rehearsal before the game. I hang there until just after 3, when I haul booty to work. I worked for just over an hour, and then changed into my game clothes and head back to school. This was a HUGELY important game for the district championship, and it just happened to be the PHS game. For those of you unfamiliar with our little slice of suburbia, PHS games tend to...well, ensure heavy police presence (know what I mean, wink-wink, nudge-nudge). We were crawling with cops.

Billy brought Cam to the game. I told him to sit next to the fence by the band, and if anything untoward should happen in the stands, he was to pick up my child and step over the fence into the band section. Not that I expected anything, but just in case. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's because PHS was there - we have plenty of thugs at Pine Forest. PHS is a big rival, and this was a game that decided the district championship...big stakes.

So...the game was tense. Tons of people there, and nearly everything outside the football part of the game itself went WRONG. The restrooms sit on either side of the concession stand under the home bleachers. Something, somewhere flooded in one (or both) of the restrooms, and everything began to back up. Everywhere. Yeah. So the main concession stand had to shut down just after halftime. That's a big source of revenue for the band, btw. The bathrooms were shut down, too. The ONLY bathrooms in the stadium. Yeeeaaaah. The halftime show was mediocre, AND we had Bellview Middle school's band was there to play with us. Well, about 10 of them showed up. Go fig.

The first half of the game was rough - nobody scored. We finally got a touchdown in the 2nd quarter, and that's all it took. We won 28-0 (woot!) and by the middle of the 4th quarter there was an ENORMOUS crowd of people at the gate - not leaving. Just hanging out. The cops started sweeping the track after the game to get people out, and the sheriff's helicopter swept across the stadium from the start of the 4th quarter. We decided to play through the show in the stands after the game, and then after that, we went out 3 across rather than single file. The helicopter was still sweeping the area as we went in the band room.

So, we won the district championship (as far as I understand...don't quote me on that) and nobody got hurt. Whoo hoo! It was a long day, though. I'm writing this Saturday night after taking Cam to the fair. That's a whole other story. I will say that Cam thinks my new car is the coolest thing in the WORLD. :) More on that later!
posted by Jen @ 10:11 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well after your VAN, I am sure he would find an Edsel cool. :D don't get me wrong I am sure it is cool, but still....

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!