Sunday, June 11, 2006
...so...tired...
I tell ya, this Summer Band stuff is NOT for sissies. I'm not even the one standing at attention like these poor freshmen are. The part that I like even better is that there are quite a few sophomores coming out just to do whatever they can to help. Team spirit and all that. Anyway...the past week I've been getting up at 5:30, bathing, dressing, eating, and doing the same for Cam. He packs his lunch (Lunchables) and then I drop him off at Day Care just a hair before 7 AM. I drive to school, where I run, yell, clap, yell, sweat, yell, and teach until Noon. Then I hang out with the other instructors for a few minutes to go over what we need to do next, and head to work. I tidy up paperwork and move money around a bit, then (unless it's Monday, which is Weight Watchers night) pick Cam up from day care and go home, where I am fairly useless. Hot, sweaty, slightly smelly (not stinky, just sun-baked), I rinse off in the shower, then usually park my behind here in front of the computer until I begin to fall asleep. Well, I make sure Cam eats and gets in bed in time to get up at the butt crack of dawn again, and THEN I fall asleep.

Friday was different. Friday was Water Day at day care. They haul out a wading pool or two with sprinklers and such...in order to participate, the kid has to come with his/her swim suit on, bring a towel, a change of clothes, sunscreen, and some kind of water shoes. Not a whole lot to do, really. I try to make sure I get his swim trunks and towel (they're both Yu Gi Oh, so it's very important that he get both...) washed, dried, and put away where I can find them. His water shoes? ...sigh... I got up and was bathed, dressed, and eating breakfast in no time flat. He got up and got dressed on his own-whoo hoo! I remembered it was Water day, though, so sent him back to his room to change into his trunks and such. I got his towel and such together, but couldn't find his water shoes anywhere. Crap. Well, the day care is like a minute and a half away from Wal Mart. Cam had just finished his breakfast, so I had him put on his regular shoes and scoot out the door-we were making an early morning visit to Wal Mart. I run in, grab another pair of water shoes and a new tube of sunscreen and head to the only open teller on the GM side of the store. It's the smokes line, but there's nobody in the line so there's no waiting-one of the perks of shopping before 7 AM. As I set my stuff down on the conveyor belt this woman rushes up from the front of the store, plops down a gift card and goes, "INeedToPut$100OnThisQuicklyPlease!!!"

Bi-otch! What the hell? The teller TAKES the card and does it. Fine, put your money on the card and GET OUT OF MY WAY! This is where my life once again became a sitcom. A poorly written, annoying sitcom. The woman whips out a checkbook. This is her writing, if she had sounded it out:
"Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnne niiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnth......twooooooo thoooooooouusaaaaaaaannnnnd siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiix."
It took her nearly a minute to write out the DATE. Great...I can see where this is going. She couldn't just sign the damn check and hand it over.....nooooo. We continue:
"Wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaallll Mmmmmaaaaaaaaarrrrt"
She sped through the numerical amount, but writing out the amount? Ugh.
"Ooooone huuunnndrrrrrred dooooooollllllaaaaaaarrrs aaaaaaannnd noooooooooo/100"
She looks up, all proud. I was standing there with my son's water shoes and a tube of sunscreen, my debit card in one hand and the other one ready to punch my pin.
Get. Out. Of. My. Way.
I dunno what her name was but she signed it with great pomp and flourish, then can't get the damn thing torn out of the checkbook. She tore one corner off, then nearly ripped it in half. I was ready to cry at this point.

The cashier takes the check and runs it through the magical check machine they use, and it goes up-down-up-down-up-downBEEEEEEEEEEP! Cashier: "Hmm. It didn't read it." Idiot woman: "That's odd." Me: "SHUT UP AND GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!" Well, on the inside. Cashier tries it again: up-down-up-down-up-downBEEEEEEEEEEP!! At this point I was ready to pay for her gift card, $100 be damned. I needed to have Cam at day care 5 minutes prior to the FIRST failed attempt thru the magic check machine. The machine must have felt the intense loathing I was projecting at the idiot woman, because it decided to work the third time. She smiled up at me like, "Gee, these machine are just so crazy!!" I didn't return a smile, but continued what I hoped was a withering glare. I had paid for MY stuff before the cashier got it all in a bag, and dragged Cam out the door to the car. I hauled booty to day care, where I had to go in, apply the sunscreen, wash my hands (stinky sun screen-shoo!) and then run out the door.

I was about 10 miles out from the day care when I did a classic Homer Simpson "DOH!" complete with forehead slap. I left my friggin cell phone at home. Too late now! Gotta get to school! I got to school with no further mishap, and managed not to embarrass myself that day. I stayed late to talk with Chad (our new brass guy) about stands tunes and what we wanted to get done next week, and then headed out to work around 3; about 2 hours later than usual. I got in, got my work done, and headed out to get Cam. Still no cell phone, btw. I rounded him up, and made absolutely certain to get his water shoes to bring home...that was a farce in and of itself, as there were three pair of the same size and brand sitting there. I got him home, and as we came in the door I heard my phone ringing. Cam goes, "You have 433 messages!" in a GREAT impression of my voice mail dude. Heh. I wonder where he gets his sense of humor...

The last call was TJ, so I radio him back. Barb was throwing a gasket trying to get hold of me-I never did call to let her know I forgot my phone. She had called work, and the person she spoke to hadn't seen me come in, so all she knew was that I hadn't returned her calls, TJ's calls, and hadn't shown up to work. Yeah. We got things straightened out and enjoyed a nice, peaceful evening.

It was just one of those days. I seem to have a lot of those.
posted by Jen @ 7:30 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Jenn G said…

    you always have the funniest things happen to you!

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh man, doncha just love people who believe THEIR lives and time are more important than anyone else's? The least she could've done was asked if you minded. I generally pretty nice, but if I'm running late, not so much.

    I really dislike stoopid people...

    D2

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!