Tuesday, June 27, 2006
Surprise!
Val and I were at work today, well, working. I heard Val say something about how nice it was to see someone, and I looked up to see Grandma and Grandpa Morton strolling up. They said they were downtown at the Social Security place (there's a whole story about people being too stupid to read his card number correctly there, but I'll save that for another day) and thought they'd drive by...if there was a spot open out front, they'd come visit. Anyone that's driven down Palafox around 11 AM on a weekday knows the odds of THAT happening, but there was one right in front of the store. Ta-da!

The really interesting thing? The building we're in used to be Newberry's, a 5 & dime. Before Town and Country or any of the Malls, it was one of THE places to shop in P'cola. They had a lunch counter where sit-ins took place during the Civil Rights movement, too. Anyway, back in the day, Grandma Morton worked there...in the hardware department. LOL! She met Grandpa there, and he stood out in front of the store till her shift was over and walked her home. Then the next day he was waiting there again, and they walked up the street (to either the Rex or the Isis-whichever was open at the time) and they saw a Little Rascals film. :)

So I learned that my family has a long history in that particular building, and that Grandpa was quite the stalker in his prime. It's good to learn something new every day.
posted by Jen @ 5:54 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 12:23 AM, Blogger Teresa said…

    I think "stalker" is a bit unfair. What was he supposed to do? Get her email address? Get her cell number and send her a text message later on? I say Go Grandpa.

    I miss them. PS - I bought a HEAP of presents for various family members today AND a suitcase for when I do come back to visit (my old suitcase has officially bit the dust). Anyway, all the purchases have made me all worked up in a lather about wanting to visit now. Not just now either, but NOW as in N-O-W. Know what I mean?

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    stalker Grandpa...

    love it!

    Though admit it, you guys weren't working. Pretending to work, certainly.

    (ducks and runs)

    D2

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!