Wednesday, August 09, 2006
4 down, 10 to go!
First days of school, that is. Cam has survived another "first day of school," as have I. My experience wasn't nearly as much fun as Cam's, but that's another story. His Grandma bought him a pair of Skechers (I'm so tragically unhip that I misspelled that...thank goodness Google's spell check knew what I meant!) and he was stylin' in an outfit Aunt Val got him...blue cammo shorts and a t-shirt. This was the first year that I didn't physically drop him off at his classroom, which is the main reason, I think, that neither of us ended up in tears at any point. I drove him to the bus stop, where I had to ask for a hug good-bye. Barb called later to let me know that he did fine at school, too; he left without giving HER a hug, too, so she just followed him to his classroom. LOL She dropped off some extra school supplies she bought for the teacher, and then got her hug.

It turns out that a friend's son, Orin, is in Cam's class, too. They've known each other since they were like two...this is the first time they've been in the same class, though. Sunny (Orin's Mom) volunteers at the school a lot, and has been updating me with interesting stories of my child's school-time behaviour. Interesting little tidbits that I would certainly otherwise never know...

For instance, on the first day all the kids that came to Orientation brought a "coat of arms" that they'd worked on over the weekend. It was divided into 4 parts, and they were to put a picture of 4 different things that are important to them on it. One of Cam's quadrants had a picture of a cat. Mrs. Peake asked Cam what his cats' names were, and he named them off, "Brutus, Calli, Chakra, and Samhain ("SOW-when", for those of you uninitiated with that specific word). She said, "Um, Sow-what?" I can see Sunny's eyebrow raise at this point, and she was ready to step in if need be. Cam repeated the name, and then Mrs. Peake goes, "Oh, well that is a beautiful name!" and moved on to the next child. Heh! Then later they were talking about things that are black and white...she asked if anyone could think of anything, and Cam's hand shoots up. He volunteers, "A Yin and Yang!" Mrs. Peake was once again caught off guard. She was looking for a piano, but she agreed that a Yin Yang does indeed have both black and white on it.

Today, however, Cam was no longer the cute, not-quite-Christian kid in the class. Nope. He has the distinct "honor" of being the first child in his class to move his clip from "Have a Nice Day" to "Warning" to whatever the next step is-I can't remember. They get two verbal warnings before she lowers their Citizenship grade...he was one step away from that. Good job, eh? He wasn't being outright BAD, but he wasn't following directions. He was paying attention with his eyes, but not his hands and feet. More than once. ...sigh...

He and I talked about it tonight, and he's now fully aware that if, lord and lady help him, I should get a phone call from his teacher, he will have effectively kissed his Xbox good-bye. He looked quite alarmed, actually, so I'm pretty sure this is a lesson that he won't forget...at least I hope.
posted by Jen @ 12:45 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    heheh, Seth lost his first behavior buck last week but has managed to hang on to all 9 so far this week. Jared has had all "green" days. Though Ms. J discovered that he can be quite grumpy when scolded. She didn't scold him but he got scolded in music and it carried LOL!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!