Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Kill...me....now....
Last week was rough. I started back on Weight Watchers, and covered for missing people at both jobs all week. I worked all day Friday and Saturday, and am here all day again today. I taught every morning last week, and will probably be up at school every day this week, too.

Today I'm the only one at the counter. Val is coming in (it's her day off) to work my lunch, so I can eat and go to the bank and such. Of the 8 people employed in sales here (not counting repair), 2 of us are here. Me and Donny. Uh huh. That's it. Bill, Margaret, and Barry are on their way to CA for the NAMM conference, Dean is out on an appointment, & Clark is in B'ham again with Krista. Here's a little bit about my day so far...and it's not quite noon yet.

Crazy piano customer... She bought a (not-Steinway) piano and paid cash...the only reason I know? Because she throws that up in our faces every time she speaks to us. She called to speak to Barry last week, and he was tied up with a customer. Clark offered to take a message or have someone else help her, and she said something to the effect of, "Well, I guess since I already paid cash I'm no longer of any importance." She was bent out of shape because she paid cash for her piano and couldn't have it delivered the very same afternoon. Well, for starters, our movers are busy. Then there's the fact that she has 3 flights of stairs to maneuver-two of which are outside. They have to schedule more guys and many hours to get this baby grand up 3 flights of stairs. To top it all off, it's raining today, and she doesn't understand why they're not delivering her baby grand piano.

So now she wants Barry to come out and set it up for her - fine, well, and good except that he's on a plane to California now. Donny was going to go, until he realized that he and I are the only ones in the store. No way. Nuh uh. I am many things, and I wear many hats, but piano salesman is NOT one of them. Not to mention I don't want to be here alone - thanks very much. Dean stopped by to pick up his paycheck and put his foot down on that, too, bless his heart. He's coming in for an hour so Donny can go babysit this woman and her new piano. I mean, she DID pay cash...

Because karma has a sense of humor, a guy comes in just now and says, "I'm behind on my son's trombone payments and want to get caught up." Cool, not a problem. He hands me two Visa gift cards and says, "One has about $70 and the other has about $20." I suppose that was his way of wishing me the best of luck... He ends up calling Visa for an exact amount and with three separate charges between the two cards I manage to get just enough to cover his account until March. Does anyone else sense a trend in the suckiness of my day?

I took a phone call from a bassoon player at Tate...he was looking for his horn. Dean has it in his truck to be delivered tomorrow, and I relayed this info to the player. He freaks out, "But I have all-county rehearsal tonight!" Um, no you don't. I say, "Rehearsals start Thursday evening...don't they?" "No! Tonight! I have to have my horn!" Um, no. "All my paperwork at school says rehearsal starts on Thursday..." He asks his teacher, who agrees with me. He goes, "Oh. So I'll get it tomorrow then?" Yes, you little poophead, you'll get it tomorrow.

My mechanism to cope with stress is to eat...and since I arrived here today the urge to completely pig out has been barely, barely controllable. Apparently while most people have a "fight or flight" mechanism, I have "fight, flight, or feast". Meh. I'm going to go eat an All-Bran honey oat bar and pretend it's something more fattening and delicious.
posted by Jen @ 10:49 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Reason #67 why I no longer work retail. You paid cash? Do you want a cookie? Sheesh! Shut up!!

    I hope Krista is okay. E-mail me when you get a sec. (yeah, right...)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!