Monday, March 19, 2007
Aaah...vacation...
So here I am, in Plant City, FL, spending some quality time with my SIL Becky's family. My niece Sky is 4, and she has a brand new baby sister, Savannah. There's also her husband, Steve, but since he's working he doesn't get to hang out and play with us. Barb and Cam and I are camping out in their living room till Wednesday. We spent the day today in the Zoo...we all came in very tired, achy, and slightly sun-kissed. Not quite burned, but really dry and it hurts to scratch. I know, I know...don't scratch, right? Anyway, here's a smidgen of our day:


This is Cam and Sky checking out the kangaroo exhibit. The one lounging on the far right has a joey in her pouch, but he never did poke his head out to say "G'day" or anything. The keeper there said that it looks like a little chihuahua. Heh! Cam is taking pics with Barb's camera, as she was outside the kangaroo enclosure with the stroller and my other neice, Savannah.

This is Sky and Cam feeding the goats at the petting zoo. These were some incredibly fat goats. We went in after they fed them and they got to brush some of them...they weren't hard to catch, as a lot of them just sort of laid there, hugely fat, and content to be brushed. It's hard to be a petting zoo goat.


So this one...this one makes me laugh. The llama on the left has the most dreadful underbite I've ever seen. I actually laughed out loud when I saw him, and this picture makes me laugh every time I see it. It looks like he's just told a really lame joke (surely a lame llama joke) to the guy on the right, and is trying to laugh it off. I mean, that's what it looks like to me...ahem.


Sky and Cam at the Africa exhibit with rhinos in the background. We stood in line to ride the camels for nearly 15 minutes prior to this, and moved all of 2 feet with over a dozen people still in front of us...they only had one camel going at a time and it was taking forEVER! We ditched the camel ride and checked out the rest of the exhibit. This was easily the hottest part of the zoo, and yes, I understand it's supposed to be Africa and all, but crap!



We cooled off by hopping on the cable cars...Becky (she's waving) and Sky in the one ahead of me and Cam. Barb stayed with the baby and the stroller:You can see she was very upset about this. LOL! We spent most of the day there, and the kids rode the pony ride (twice), the Jeep ride, the carousel, the cable cars, and Sky rode the "flying banana" ride twice on her own-Cam abstained as it's the sort of thing that would make him barf.

We saw bald eagles, bison, foxes, bears, wolves, deer, elephants (and the cutest baby elephant EVER), rhinos, tapirs, manatees, water moccasins (we see those at home, though), giraffes, bats, dingos, a komodo dragon, and countless reptiles and amphibians, just to name a few. They fed giant koi, catfish, turtles, goats, and some kind of pink bird (scarlet ibis, maybe?). They got to pet stingrays ("slimy!") and talked to keepers in the petting zoo and the kangaroo exhibit. It was a fun, yet educational sort of day.

Sky told me yesterday that this zoo also had unicorns, princesses, and dragons...unfortunately, we didn't get to see any of them today. As I told Dawn earlier tonight, we may have just missed them as we skipped parts of the zoo-we were worn out. I'm laying here on my air mattress (which has a funny story all in itself) listening to Cam snore over on the couch...he's had a long day.

We never did decide exactly what we're doing tomorrow...there was talk of going to Dinosaur Land (not at all like the one we have in P'cola, for those of you perking up at that), there was talk of a picnic lunch, and then something else but I can't remember it. It's been a long day. LOL! I'll try to blog some more tomorrow. Night!
posted by Jen @ 8:05 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger Teresa said…

    I absolutely LOVE that llama picture! I was thinking along the same lines as you - only whereas you went down the bad joke lane, I took the accidental fart lane. He's all, "Oops...ha...umm...sorry there." And his friend is all, "Disgusting."

    Good stuff though. Glad yall had fun, even if you didn't get to see any pink or blue unicorns! Did you finish making her purse yet? :)

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    glad you are finally relaxing! you deserve it!
    and yes those llamas are great. I can definatly see the fart thing going on. heee.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Dawn Contemplates Life said…

    If you check out Dinosaur Land I want to know how it was!!! If it's excellent I might just have to make a trip there soon.

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey you! Give me a yell sometime. :)Hope you're having a great trip!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!