Friday, March 02, 2007
Fini
I spent the past 3 weekends on a death watch for my Grandma Tucker. She was too ornery to go predictably, though, and spent the better part of a month mystifying her doctors, nurses, and family. She passed away in the wee hours this morning. Dad called me this morning around 7:30...he probably didn't want to wake me up, or something like that. He called Resa (she's at my house) and I called Val, who was taking Jacelyn to school. Boom. The shoe we've all been waiting to fall has fallen. I left school and came home, and Val stopped by between Jaceyln's school and work.

We sat around talking and reveling in our unusual brand of off-color humor...it really sort of reaches a pinnacle in situations like this. We were like the 3 Stooges in the ICU waiting room when Mom was dying. We found out that it must be a Tucker thing rather than a Morton thing at our Uncle's funeral...we were sitting out in the front room of the funeral home with our cousin, reveling in our unusual brand of off-color humor. We didn't create a scene or anything, but it was nice to know that we had a partner in crime in our cousin.

So here's the thing...Resa has an old college friend coming over today. Tomorrow is her birthday, and we had every intention of going out tonight and having a brilliant time. She bought a birthday outfit that she's giving to me (Thanks, Sa!) because the people that sized it? They were on crack. Anyway, it was going to be a whole HERD of people, but now we're not entirely sure what to do. Should we go out anyway? We've asked everyone what we can do to help...there's nothing right now. Our Dad and Aunts are going to make arrangements for the funeral today, and they're waiting to hear when our out-of-town cousins can make it in. We're in the limbo phase right now. Would it be dreadfully disrespectful to go tonight? I mean, Steven is coming in from Panama City...we've made plans. We're going to go out for her birthday regardless...just a matter of when.

We went to McGuires (my sisters and my cousin) after my Uncle's funeral for a night of tributes and drinking. We figure it's the way he would have preferred to be remembered anyway. We plan to do the same after Grandma's funeral, but I really don't want to say, "Yeah, we went out for Grandma's funeral and Resa's birthday last night...good times..." Know what I mean? Ugh. What do y'all think?
posted by Jen @ 10:06 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Dawn Contemplates Life said…

    Do you think your grandmother would have minded you doing something so normal? Its not like your going to ditch her funeral to go to a drunken party. I say go.

    And I am sorry for your loss. I know it wasn't unexpected and I have been sitting her the last couple of days waiting to hear the news.

    I'm glad Resa made it home first though!

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    (((hugs))) to everyone in P'cola. I'm glad that Resa made it home safely and in time.

    We're all sad when a loved one dies but life goes on. Go out tonight and have some sensible fun, then take Resa out for a rowdy post-birthday bash in a few weeks when everything's not so somber.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!