Friday, April 13, 2007
Hurting, but oh-so-stubborn
I'm having a difficult time categorizing the pain I'm in. Yes, I know...Jen - at a loss for words? It's not a constant pain...I mean, when I sit or stand for any length of time I feel fine. Then when I try to sit or stand...I'm swiftly reminded that I am in the first stages of a running program. Egad! My quads SCREAM at me when I sit down, and my shins throw in their two cents with more of a dull roar any time foot movement is involved.

Having said that, I want to say that I'm not giving up. I am 30 years old, and one of the lessons I've learned in life is that you can't judge someone or something based on one experience. So...I'm going back out tonight. Sore, aching, and with the new stopwatch I got this morning at Wal Mart. Now I won't be tempted to throw my cell phone across the park, and I won't be able to throw the stop watch, as it will be hanging around my neck.

I'm not nervous this time so much as slightly worried. I mean, my first experience, while not unsuccessful, was hard. That seems a very meager word to describe what I mean, but hell...it was! The last time I ran was high school, and that was mumblemumble years ago! I walk, I hike, and I've lost 50 pounds in the past year. I'm still woefully unprepared for the stresses of running. I'm not so naive as to expect to be able to fall right into running - don't get me wrong. I have a sneaking suspicion that actually going through with this entire program will be one of the most difficult things (mental AND physical) I've ever done.

So. Gonna go running again tonight. I go into this assuming a few things.
1.) It was very difficult to do in 'prime' (work with me here - I mean prime by MY current standards) condition - doing it in my current condition is bound to be worse.
2.) I will most likely NOT be out of the first phase of this program within the prescribed week. I'm fine with that. They say to stay in it until you're ready to move on, and that's exactly what I plan to do.
3.) I will sleep very, very well tonight.

Oh, I weigh in today, too. Heh. I maintained last week. I didn't exactly behave earlier this week, but I'm hoping that the running thing will help out. We shall see...wish me luck!

3.)
posted by Jen @ 8:58 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Yeah, I think I'm going to stay in the first phase for the forseeable future. They are right: don't rush it!

    Challenge accepted! Let's shoot for a 5K in early '08. I think we'll both be ready in 10-12 months and we won't be running in the summer heat!! :)

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dude, why do you have a 3 at the end of your post?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!