Monday, January 30, 2006
I'm not mature enough for this
Today during class I was going over the first part of a Robert Sheldon piece called "Manatee Lyric Overture." One of the tuba players was having a particularly difficult time with a certain part, and he asked me if he could just change it to something else...I held up the score (which had "MANATEE LYRIC OVERTURE" in huge letters, with "Robert Sheldon, A.S.C.A.P" in slightly smaller print next to it) and pointed to the composer's name with my baton. "Are you the composer? Is your name 'Robert Sheldon, A.S.C.A.P.'?" Only instead of saying "AZ-cap," I drawled out "ass-cap." Luckily, the other half of the band wasn't paying attention. I felt myself turn bright, bright red, and a terrible case of the wildly-inappropriate-but-completely-unstoppable giggles landed square on my head. I tried hard not to lose it, and just barely managed not to dissolve into gales of hysterical laughter. I looked back up at Joe, and HE got it-he stopped laughing long enough to try a serious, "What did you call me?!" but it was the end of it right there. I had to put my head down on the podium for a moment before we could do anything else. (For those of you that don't know what A.S.C.A.P. is, you can read up on it here.) Lord-it was bad. It was one of those, "Wait, *I* am the grown up here, I must compose myself...heh, ass cap...WAIT-STOP!" And to think that last week I had such a great "I'm a real grown-up now!" moment!
posted by Jen @ 11:05 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Teresa said…

    That's HILARIOUS! I totally understand... but I figure some things are just funny though, no matter how grown up you are.

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Grow up? Grow up???? Are you loosing your mind?? NEVER!!!

    And I'm not just saying that because I'm staring middle age in the face...

    Thanks for the laugh!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!