Thursday, March 30, 2006
Cherry tomatoes make me happy
For real. There's a story there, too; I'm sure you'd be disappointed if there was not.

Ok, go back about (mumblemumble) years when Val, Resa, and I were elementary school/middle school ages. Yeah, you'll have to use your imagination for that one, huh? Smartypants. Anyway, the folks that lived next door to our Grandma & Grandpa Morton was an old, old friend of theirs. He had an in-ground pool, and made it clear to Grandpa that we were more than welcome to use it (with adult supervision, of course).

We'd go over to Grandpa's house, and would always, ALWAYS make Resa call Mr. Harry (the neighbor) to ask if we could use the pool. Granted, we'd already been given permission, but it's just polite to ask before barging into his backyard and cannonballing into the deep end. Resa always made the call because she was "the cute one." Swear to god, that's the reason. To this day, Grandma Morton will bring it up, "Remember how Resa always called? 'Mr. Hawwy? Can we come use your SWIMMINPOOL?'" She says it just like that, too. ...sigh...

Anyway, we'd go over and swim and dive till we were dragged out of the pool pruney, tired, and ravenously hungry. We'd wrap up in towels and go back to Grandpa's house, where we were left on the back patio until we dried enough to come in the house. While we were drying off, we'd pick over Grandpa's cherry tomato bushes, eating them straight off the bush. Mmmm... Every now and then Grandma would bring out Popsicles or marshmallows, but for me, the cherry tomatoes stand out.

Having said all that, cherry tomatoes are once again a big feature in my diet. I can have a cup of them for 0 points, as I did today. Mmmm...cherry tomatoes...comfort food for 0 points. Can't beat that! That concludes our trip down memory lane today, folks, watch your step on the way out and tip your waitresses. See ya!
posted by Jen @ 11:00 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 7:12 AM, Blogger Teresa said…

    I can vouch for the authenticity of the claim - she really does say it JUST like that. And to think...all this time I thought I had to make the phone call cause I was the youngest and, as such, always got crapped on (but admittedly also spoiled once the two of you moved out). I do remember cherry tomatoes, as well as the mandatory porch drying-off sessions. Cherry tomatoes USED to be a comfort food to me, but last year when I had a temporary stint with the South Beach Diet, it was one of approximately FIVE diet-friendly foods I could find in Korea and, as such, ate WAY too many. In fact, just thinking about them makes my mouth sting from the acid. Oy. But at the same time it was different because they were always cold, and the tomatoes at Grandma and Grandpa's house were always warm.

    BTW, I enjoyed the trip down memory lane so long as the jaunts continue to contain embarrassment-free moments.

    Love,
    The Cute One (haha!)

     
  • At 7:12 AM, Blogger Teresa said…

    Oy, what a long comment! I should have just blogged it!

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Blogger Teresa said…

    And I'm jealous - of frozen food (the kind that is labeled in English so you can read it and not just chance upon something you like and then memorize the packaging), the ability to heat up said frozen food (requiring an oven or microwave, both of which I lack), and lots of other things related to living in the US. I'm not trying to complain - Korea is interesting and I love it here, but there's lots I miss.

    And also, at this point it's become almost a joke how many comments I'm leaving here. :) Dontcha love me??? :)

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Yeah yeah, I do. Which reminds me, I have another super-secret-surprise for you. Neener neener!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!