Friday, August 17, 2007
It's funny
I remember sitting on the couch in the wee hours with a little baby Cam 8 years ago, wondering what he would be like as a kid or a teenager or an adult. You always wish the best for your kids, and I'm no exception. You want them to be smart, of course. But smart isn't all - I wanted him to have common sense as well as book sense. I hoped he would be understanding and open to hearing other ideas.

Fast forward to today. I had a conversation with Cam in the car (a lot of the good ones happen there - anyone else notice that?) that left me wanting to cry. I won't go into the details, as they're not my details to go into. A troubled teenager that we know had run away, and I wouldn't have even told Cam about it except he was expecting to see her Sunday.

He asked why she might not be there, so I told him. He pondered for a moment. "Why did she run away?" I explained as best I could that she had had a very hard life up to this point, and explained about foster homes and such. He pondered for a while again. "Well, running away doesn't help anything, does it?" Score! I agreed with him. He was quiet for a while, and turned up the radio.

About 5 minutes later he turns the radio down and goes, "What if we call her?" What? "Can we try to call her? We'll ask her where she is." Aw. He'd been thinking about it the whole time! I told him that they'd tried calling her, but she wasn't answering her phone. "Well, can I try calling her?" I could tell he was really worried. I told him that all her friends knew that if she contacted them, they needed to find out where she was, and that the police were also looking for her to take her home. He turned up the radio and sat back.

A few minutes later, he turned it down again, and goes, "I really hope she's ok...I hope it isn't raining where she is." I told him that she was probably just fine, and that she was tough and should be just fine. He nodded, turned the radio back up, and sat back for the rest of the ride home. We got home and found out that the young lady in question had returned home safely. I let Cam know and he all but sighed in relief.

Bless his little pea-pickin' heart. I'm going to talk to him about it again tomorrow to make sure there is no lasting trauma. I'm glad that he's able to sympathize and/or empathize. It makes me feel better about him growing up. Well...a little.
posted by Jen @ 9:21 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!