Saturday, May 06, 2006
Me drum!

I like to drum. I'm not talking like the drum line guys at school-I'm talking HAND drums. To the left you'll see a pic of my baby. My abysmally HEAVY baby...she weighs in at a whopping 26 pounds. My father-in-law got her for me while he worked off Africa's coast. Don't tell her, but I'm thinking about getting a smaller, MUCH lighter fiberglass drum to take out to the woods and anywhere else portability is an issue. I want to get out in the woods and drum on the sandy river beach at night around a toasty camp fire. That's mighty hard to do with this behemoth. ...sigh...

For anyone that hasn't tried drumming, I highly recommend it. You don't have to be musically gifted (or ABLE, really) to try it; just know someone that has a drum. Drumming in a group is MUCH more fun than alone, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to relax during a drum circle. Or fall asleep...kids are really susceptible to that. After a long day in the woods of running around, playing in the river, and other such camping things just set them down on a blanket next to Mom or Dad drumming, and if they can sit still for a few moments they'll be OUT. Regardless of how many S'Mores they've stuffed down their guts. :)

What brought on this drum talk? I'm reorganizing (heh, which implies that they were already organized in some way) the music files on my puter, and found my Inanna album. They are AWESOME! Here's a link to their site, and this is a link to a site where you can listen to snippets of the very album I'm listening to now.

OK...now I'm going to go make my grocery list for the week...which is the reason I sat down at my puter in the first place. I'm sure I'll be distracted again soon and will be back to share another thrilling story later. Stay tuned!
posted by Jen @ 1:19 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It may be heavy, but you are one of the few people that I know that can say they own an authentic djembe from Africa. If you ever get tired of it, you know how to reach me. :-) I will gladly take it off of your hands. Did you also get an authentic bodhran from Ireland?

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Heh, in all honesty, we have TWO authentic African djembes that are actually from Africa. The first one is smaller than mine, and is still one heavy little mo-fo. I can't get rid of either, though, and it's not just becuase one of them isn't mine. :) They're wonderful drums with loads of personality. They're perfect for drum circles at a friend's house when you can unload them from the car and waddle up to the porch with them. As for the bodhran, Vic WAS off the coast of Scotland for a while, but he didn't have any "shore leave" in between shifts. There's always hope for a later trip! I'll put in the order for you. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
who's here:
jen reads:

Blogroll Me!
where's jen:
photo album:
Click here to go to my online album. Registration required to view images!
relatively current:
the 'previouslies':
Template by
Free Blogger Templates
© No promises!